Thursday, December 12, 2013

Ste. Genevieve

My city has day trips several times a year to different places. I've always wanted to take one but I was always working. Since I'm not working any longer I have the opportunity to go on these trips. Ste. Genevieve is about 2 hours from my city. We enjoyed a walking tour of the small French Colonial city with its many preserved buildings, family style lunch at a local cafĂ©, and a side trip to 2 wineries in the area.
 
 My first one was to the historic city of Ste. Genevieve settled in the 1740's mostly by French-Canadians.
One of the houses we saw was the Bolduc House, built by the richest man in Ste. Genevieve Louis Bolduc around 1792.
 
 
 The timbers were place vertically instead of horizontally like most timber homes of the times. This style is called poteaux-sur-sol. The sill was laid down on a stone foundation and the vertical logs placed on top of it.
 The home of Felix Valle built in 1818. This home was a mercantile store on one side and living quarters for the family on the other.
 The mercantile store features authentic items from that period
 candelabra in the home
 inside one of the outbuildings.






No comments: